What the heck does that mean?

All about working as a waiter, pursuing my dream, eating vegetarian, and loving where I live!

Thursday, August 26, 2010

If you apologize, there's probably no need.

If you are a self-conscious customer who feels bad about making special requests or asking "too many" questions or worry about a waiter spitting in your food... don't worry. You aren't part of the problem. The other day I had a group of guys that I was helping my partner with and one of the guys arrived late. The rest of the group was ready to order, but he had a few questions.

This is not me in the kitchen. Promise.
He asked about the fish and where they were from and if they were wild caught or farm raised and asked about specific ingredients and if certain dishes could be modified. He was a kind of picky pescetarian, which I can certainly understand and appreciate. I was happy to make suggestions and help him find something he'd like. He ended up getting the Eggplant Parmesan with whole wheat penne.

As I finished taking the order, the picky pescetarian joked that his friends had a bet going that I would spit in his food because he gave me a hard time. I was half embarrassed (I hoped they didn't seriously think I would do that) and half amused. I wasn't annoyed by this guy in the least.

Typically, that's how it goes. People who apologize about special requests are generally nice, sweet people. If you're a nice person, I will go above and beyond to make sure your meal is perfect.

Assholes never think twice about their demands. And yet, I would still never spit in their food.

No comments:

Post a Comment